Tuesday 17 March 2009

Cycling in the pleasant Spring sunshine around Edenbridge





I cycled from Edenbridge on Sunday and it was a brilliantly sunny day. Warm too 17 degrees. The ride was from Philips cycle tours around South London. I did this ride last Feb and I started it later and it was really cold so I had to cut it short. So I did 34km in 4 hours 30 mins total time today I did the whole route in 4.40 so much improved.




I cycled out of Edenbridge and headed towards the North Downs. This picture was taken looking at Pains Hill. I then took a picture of the geese on the farm and it wasn't until I loaded the picture on the computer that I noticed that there were two walkers looking at me through binocculars!! This year I cycled up Pains hill in two goes! So I was pleased with myself.




I then cycled on the North Downs


Then down into Godstone for lunch.. purchased from a very happy chappy in the post office. For £1.99 I had a roast chicken wrap and it was scrummy. I ate it later at Crowhurst Church.

Below is a view of Godstone village green that I took last year, this year there was football being played so this made a better photo.


After leaving Godstone I passed Godstone farm and headed up Tilburtstow Hill. (which I did in two goes!!!!) This is along aRoman Road which eventually goes to Bignor Roman Villa in the foot of the South Downs. Then I cycled along the lovely lanes to Crowhurst. This sign is for the village and they are common in Surrey.




Just by here I met a lovely couple who began to tell me that they had grown up in the area during the war and often came back to the church. The man said how as a boy he had watched the Battle of Britain going on in the skies above him and he said it was very exciting. I then had my picnic lunch in the church yard.






Just to the right of this shot is the Crowhurst Yew which apparently is one of the top 50 British trees of interest. It didn't say why so I assume it was because it was old. Ah ha now I have googled it and it is supposed to be 4000 years old!! it has a hollow middle which was dug out by the villagers in 1820 and in the process they found two cannon balls from the English Civil War embedded in the tree. Wow.. thank goodness for google.
A photo of the tree from close up.
Further down the road I came across this interesting building. It's the gatehouse for Crowehurst Place which was built in 1420. The original house was destroyed but the gatehouse remains. Renovated in the 1920's. V nice.


I then cycled through Lingfield where I saw this collection of older houses on the High Street. Some buildings are 16th Century. Shame people are allowed to park their cars here though as there were an awful lot of them.



I then cycled along a lovely lane to Cowden. On the way I got a puncture. It was a teeny weeny piece of stone. So I pulled to the side of the road and managed to fix it. I was just pumping up the tyre when a man and woman stopped and helped me. Luckily he had a track pump in his car so he kindly pumped up my tyre for me. It wasn't as if I couldn't have done it but it was nice to not feel so alone knowing that there are kind people out there who are willing to help. Ta mate.


This is a view of the North Downs in the distance (where I was at the beginning of the ride!) overlooking Stonehurst farm. Lovely view that the photograph doesn't do justice. I then cycled through Markbeech which is near Hever Castle (where Anne Boyleyn lived as a girl - before she got involved with that King bloke!). Nice church next to a really nice pub - but I didn't stop as its not so great when you are on your own.

Another sign to round the day off.














No comments: